Indonesian Tofu Recipes: Tofu Satay, Fried Tofu with Sweet Soy Sauce
Indonesian Tofu Recipes – Tofu is a healthy food and can be a substitute to red meat. If you want to eat protein by skipping red meat, then it is a good idea to eat tofu. It is terrific source of protein. Besides, it is also known to be low in saturated fats. For this reason, eating tofu will not make you fat. This can also keep your heart healthy. Some people don’t like the plain taste. But the thing is tofu can be cooked into various dishes.
In Indonesia, tofu is used to make local dishes. It is because tofu has a unique flavor. It can match the flavors of Indonesian foods very well. We need sufficient protein intake every day. By eating tofu, you can meet the daily requirement. We will provide some Indonesian tofu recipes. Just make sure to add spices because they really improve the plain taste of this food.
Tofu satay ingredients:
- 1 large block tofu
- 5 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Add vinegar, garlic, oil, sweet soy sauce, and coriander to a mixing bowl. Mix these ingredients till they form a sauce. Divide the marinade into two. Prepare for another bowl and transfer 2 tablespoons of the marinade to it. Meanwhile, you should cut tofu into chunks and coat them with the sauce in the first bowl. Put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Whisk peanut butter, ketchup, hot sauce, and a little bit of water. This will be used to rub the tofu chunks before you grill them.
- Remove the bowl of tofu from the refrigerator. Thread the chunks on to skewers.
- Place a grill pan over medium heat. When it is hot enough, arrange the skewers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes per side. Flip them for a few times. When the tofu turns golden brown, transfer it to a serving plate.
What we like about tofu is how soft it is. Compared to meat that tends to be chewy, tofu is much softer in texture. It will be totally different experience if you have never tried it before. The best part is that it comes in different grades of texture. Some tofu varieties are rougher, while others are softer. Hence, you can choose one that you like best. Firm tofu is best suited for curries and stir-fries. You don’t need to worry that it will break apart because it is quite hard. The softer one can be used to make other dishes, like smoothies and desserts. Tofu is popular worldwide, especially in Asia. You can find it in Indonesia, Japan, and other countries. It is made of soy bean, which is totally healthy. Here’s another Indonesian tofu recipe:
Fried tofu with sweet soy sauce ingredients:
- 2 blocks firm tofu
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 500 ml water
Seasoning paste ingredients:
- 5 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 red chilies
- 2 cm ginger
- 2 cm galangal
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- Wash tofu and drain. Next cut it into small chunks, set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a sauce pan, fry the chunks for 3 minutes until the outer layer becomes crunchy. Remove the tofu from the pan.
- Put the seasoning ingredients in a blender and mix evenly. Saute the paste in the sauce pan. Once it becomes fragrant, add water, soy sauce, and the rest of the ingredients. Return the tofu chunks into the pan.
- Bring it to a boil and reduce it to a simmer afterwards. Keep cooking for 15 more minutes over low heat and then transfer it to a bowl.
Aside from protein, soy also contains manganese, copper, thiamine, and other essential substances. With all of these beneficial compounds, you can eat tofu and stay healthy even though you skip red meat, sea food, and other sources of protein. We’d love to give you tips on how to cook this food. Tofu can be used to make a variety of Indonesian tofu dishes. Here’s another one:
Stuffed tofu ingredients:
- 2 blocks tofu
- 100 gr minced beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp powdered broth
- 1/4 tbsp sugar
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 spring onions
- Cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/4 kg wheat flour
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pack of powdered broth
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Saute the seasoning paste until fragrant. Add minced beef and some water. Cook until the meat becomes tender.
- Add the powdered broth, minced spring onions, diced carrots, salt, and sugar. Wait until the water reduces, turn off the fire, and then set aside.
- Next, you have to make dough using the prepared ingredients. Combine all the dough ingredients, pour water little by little. The dough shouldn’t be too thick. If it feels like that, just add more water.
- Stuff the tofu pieces with the beef mixture. And then dip all of them in the dough.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil accordingly. When it is hot enough, fry the tofu pieces.
- Once they turn golden brown, transfer them to a plate with paper towels on top of it. The paper towels will absorb the excess oil. You can serve them with hot rice or eat them as a snack.
All these Indonesian tofu recipes are easy to make. The ingredients are also easy to find at grocery stores. You just need to buy the required ingredients and start making a dish that you like. There are many other recipes that we will share next time.