Indonesian Desserts Recipes: Kue Pancong, Black Rice Pudding
If you love sweet desserts, then the following Indonesian desserts recipes are perfect for you. There are many recipes that we will provide today, but let’s get started with kue pancong or coconut cake. This is easy to make, but the taste is really terrific. As a traditional food, it requires ingredients that can be found easily. Although it can be found everywhere in the country, kue pancong actually originated from java. It has many fans, which is why you can find it in different places. Coconut is the most important ingredient because it affects the taste tremendously. Here is how to make it.
Kue pancong ingredients:
- 250 gr grated coconut
- 60 gr glutinous rice flour
- 50 gr rice flour
- 70 gr sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- First thing first, you have to mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Just use your hands to combine all of them. It takes like 4 minutes to knead them until it turns into smooth dough. It should not be sticky due to the nature of grated coconut.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. It is important to set the right temperature, so that the cake achieves the desired texture and consistency.
- Take a medium-size cake pan and spread some rice flour all over it. This is a substitute to oil, so that the cake doesn’t get sticky and can be distorted from the pan. Press the dough into the pan simply by using your hands. Bake it for about 30 minutes. You can easily see the texture of the cake from the outside. And if it is not well-done, you can bake it for 5 more minutes. The color of the cake should be a good indicator. It should turn golden brown before you remove it from the oven. Set aside.
- Transfer the cake from the oven on to a large plate. Cut it into slices and serve.
If you want to try another Indonesian desserts recipe, then you can make fried banana. This is quite high in calories due to how it is processed. For this reason, make sure you don’t eat too much. What we like about fried banana is how easy it is to make. It only uses rice flour and other additional ingredients, like sugar and salt. Yes, it is actually so simple. The most essential thing is the banana itself. There are so many banana varieties. You should know that not all of them are good for this dish. Some taste quite plain, while others tend to change texture. Therefore, choose the right banana. Simply ask the seller to know what varieties are best for making this recipe.
Fried banana ingredients:
- 100g rice flour
- 70ml water
- 80ml coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Oil for frying
- 4 bananas sliced ??lengthwise
- You can start by making dough out of rice flour and water. Pour flour into a mixing bowl and add water little by little. You should also add the coconut cream later. Coconut cream can be replaced with coconut milk or be skipped altogether. It is okay to not use this because it will still taste good. Whisk all the ingredients to create a runny batter. It should not be too thick because it will affect the texture. When the batter is too thick, the banana will not be crispy.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Wait until it is hot enough to fry. Drop the coated slices one by one into the oil and deep fry for 5 minutes. Depending on how thick the slices are, you may need to cook shorter or longer than that. Just take a look at the color. Once they turn golden brown, transfer them to a plate containing paper towels. They will absorb the excess oil and not make them too greasy. You can serve this dessert right away.
The next recipe is made of black glutinous rice. This is another savory dessert that you can try. The main ingredients are black glutinous rice, sugar, and coconut milk. It makes a perfect dessert because it is kind of chewy.
- 200g black glutinous rice (soaked overnight)
- 100g white glutinous rice (soaked overnight)
- 1 l water
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- 50g grated palm sugar
- 125ml coconut milk
- You should rinse both types of rice repeatedly until the water becomes clear. Combine them and soak overnight.
- The next morning, you have to bring to a boil this combination. Add also vanilla extract. It can be replaced with pandan leaves if you prefer traditional cooking methods. Cook for a few minutes until it turns into porridge. Turn off the gas stove and add sugar. There is no need to cook it anymore because the heat of the porridge is enough to melt the grated palm sugar. It will be dissolved within a few minutes. Just keep stirring.
- Pour some into a bowl, add coconut milk, and serve.
It’s easy, right? Although it can be served hot and cold, we find it taste better when served hot. But if you prefer cold desserts, it can also be served with ice. Pour some of the black rice porridge into a large glass or cup, add ice cubes, and coconut milk. That was some Indonesian desserts recipes you can try at home. All of them are easy to make because the ingredients are available everywhere. Just make whichever you find appealing. Also, we will share other great local recipes next time, so keep reading.